Need an easy dinner idea? This easy crockpot taco soup is a staple in our house because it’s so simple and delicious. It’s easy to make a few swaps to make it customizable too. No matter how you customize it, there is one secret ingredient that you must always use: ranch dressing. Crock pot taco soup recipe with ranch dressing for the win! Check out my easy recipe for taco soup in the crockpot.
Why we love taco soup
Taco soup has long been a favorite in our house. Tom picked up the recipe from a former roommate and through the years we’ve made changes and tweaked it, but we almost always come back to this original recipe because it is cheap and easy.
One thing I love about this taco soup crockpot recipe is that you can make it thicker for chili or thinner for soup. So many options and you still get the great flavor. Sometimes we use ground beef other times we used ground turkey. We’ve even skipped the meat all together to make it a vegetarian taco soup recipe. Skip the cheese and yogurt/ sour cream as toppings and you can easily make this a vegan taco soup recipe.
Crockpot Taco Soup Recipe
This recipe is also delicious made on the stove. A few simple changes and this is perfect for the crockpot too! I have to admit that I like the taste of it on the stove better because the water boils off and it gets a little thicker, but it’s pretty easy to make this taco soup recipe in the slow cooker. It’s perfect for busy weeknights when I can’t be home in the afternoon to cook dinner.
- 1 pound ground beef, chicken or turkey (feel free to omit for a vegetarian meal)
- 1/2 of a white onion, diced
- 1 package of Ranch dressing mix
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 1 can of Rotel
- 1 can of stewed tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 can of Fiesta Corn
- 1/2 C. of water
- Add meat and onions to the slow cooker and cook on high for about 30 minutes or until cooked through. Break up meat occasionally while cooking.
- Drain fat from meat and add taco seasoning and Ranch seasoning. Stir well to coat meat, add 1/2 C. of water and let cook on high for another 30 minutes.
- Drain liquid from canned goods and add to crock pot. Stir and reduce heat to low, let cook for 4 hours. If you want it to be a little soupier, add another 1/2 C. of water before letting cook for 4 hours. If you want it more like a chili, omit the water.
- Garnish with sour cream or Greek yogurt, cheese, and tortilla chips.
See how easy it is? We even use the very last bits of our soup in stuffed peppers. I also love that I can tweak this recipe and add extra leftovers to it. Almost anything tastes good with taco seasoning and Ranch seasoning!
Watch the video on how to make slow cooker taco soup
Watch the video to see exactly how simple it is to make this slow cooker taco soup.
Want to make this in the Instant Pot?
It’s so easy to do this in the Instant Pot too. Brown the meat on the saute setting, stir in the seasoning packets, add the rest of the ingredients, then set the IP to soup for 20 minutes. The soup is a little thinner in the Instant Pot, but the flavor will wow you!
Like this recipe? Please pin it!
What are your favorite cheap crock pot meals?