This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. This content is intended for readers 21+. #BurgerBar #CollectiveBias
Dinner is a struggle at our house because the kids aren’t just picky, they are strong willed. Who would have known that a burger bar would make everyone in the family happy? We recently did a family fun night with a DIY burger bar in our backyard and it was a huge hit!
As I set out the fixings for our create your own burger bar, I had doubts that my kids would embrace the new MorningStar Farms® Quarter Pound Veggie Burgers. You see, my kids don’t exactly like hamburgers. They never have and I’m beginning to wonder if they ever will. I feel awful for my husband because as a huge burger fan, he’d love to be able to share his love for burgers with the kids.
They don’t just discriminate against burgers, they seem to be on a meat strike in general. Except for bacon. Because what kid in their right mind doesn’t love bacon, right? While I hate to classify my kids as picky, they certainly don’t enjoy trying food that I place on their plate. However, they do love a good buffet, and as it turns out, burger bars are set up much like buffets.
Apparently research has confirmed that kids feel more in control when they fill their own plates and have choices from a buffet or family style dinner. Hey, if that is what it takes, I’m willing to put together a burger bar more often. Our first burger bar family fun alfresco dinner was a complete hit. So much so that I might just be able to call my boys burger lovers now.
Here’s how we set up a night of family fun with a burger bar:
1. I picked up all sorts of goodies from Walmart:
- I picked up the new MorningStar Farms Quarter Pound Veggie Burgers. These veggie burgers are delicious, perfectly crafted burgers that will fill your bun with MORE and leave you satisfied every time. Each quarter pound burger is perfectly seasoned and packs each bite with plant based protein and tasty veggies.
- Don’t want something that taste like veggies? Try MorningStar Farms® Meat Lovers Burger. It’s a “beef-like” taste and texture that packs 27 grams of positive Plant Based Protein.
Great ValueTM Cheese
- I picked up pepper jack because I love a little spice on my burger.
Country Potato Sandwich Buns
- We always do potato buns with burgers and hot dogs because Country Potato Sandwich Buns are slightly sweet so the kids love them.
Hunt’s® Natural Ketchup
- Thick, rich, and full of flavor, Hunt’s 100% Natural Tomato Ketchup is perfect for burgers.
- A combination of vine-ripened tomatoes blended with zesty green chilies and savory spices add the bold zest of the Southwest to your favorite recipe.
- My kids couldn’t get enough of these “crispy things”.
- These New Kleenex® Wipes are awesome. It provides a gentle clean for hands and face. Perfect for little boys who hate washing hands.
- Dr Pepper is always original and refreshing. My boys loved getting to sip on a fun drink for family fun night.
Pabst Blue Ribbon®
- You’ll love this deal. Right now you can do “Pick A Pair And Share” – Save $15 Off Two 24pks or 30pks of Pabst Blue Ribbon
2. I set up the table buffet style
I set up all of the delicious food items listed above and added a watermelon feta salad too.
3. The kids played while we cooked
Or should I write that the kids played and I hung out while Tom cooked. While I know I can grill if I really want to, I love letting Tom cook dinner is when grilling is involved. Letting him cook gives me a chance to relax a bit, which is what family fun night is all about!
And by relax, I mean drink a nice cold beer.
4. We let the kids serve themselves
First they had to use the new Kleenex® Wipes to wipe their hands. I’m pretty sure they have a new favorite way to clean their hands now.
Once they were clean and the tables was set, I let them load up their own plates. They had so much fun helping themselves, and I had fun watching them actually put food on their plates without complaining.
5. We ate as a family
Sitting down at the dinner table as a family is important to me. We try to sit down at the table and eat all of our meals together when we are all home. For this meal, we sat outside and enjoyed the summer evening. Max even enjoyed it!
Visit a Burger Bar near you!
Want to try a MorningStar Farms burger?
You can try one at the Burger Bar Truck that is traveling to Walmarts right now. Head over to BurgerBarTruck.com to see if it’s traveling to a Walmart near you and find even more delicious recipe inspiration from renowned Chef Capon, 6-time Burger Bash NYC Champion! Visit it, receive additional savings and then bring the burgers home to create your own burger bar! Get more inspiration here!