The summer break is a great time for kids to relax, explore new activities, and have fun. However, without a daily routine or schedule in place, it can be challenging to make the most of these precious days. Don’t worry- I have you covered with a free printable summer schedule. If you want, you can even customize it yourself in Canva! By creating a free customizable printable summer schedule, you can design a personalized plan that ensures a balance between educational activities, outdoor adventures, day trips and cherished moments with family and friends.
How I stay sane with a weekly summer schedule and a daily summer routine
I tend to oscillate between crazy-controlling-mom and laissez-faire-mom.
I don’t have much of an in between. That’s why I find it crucial to make a weekly summer schedule and a daily summer routine. When my kids and I know what to expect each day (see controlling mom), then we can all take it easy and let the day take it’s course without much interference from me (see laissez fair mom).
I accomplish this by sitting down with the kids every summer to come up with the perfect summer schedule that allows everyone in the family to enjoy summer time. As a stay at home/ work at home mom, it’s imperative that I create space each day for down time for the kids and work time for me. This is when I get housework and work work chores accomplished.
I recently shared my latest printable schedules on Instagram and had so many positive comments that I figured I should put together a blog post. This way everyone can download and print their own weekly schedule for the ultimate summer routine. There are so many fun things to do over the summer! Put all your favorite ideas down on paper in order to maximize your summer fun.
Why I use a schedule in conjunction with a routine during summer vacation
I’m a big fan of routine and so are my kids. While I love a good schedule, I try to avoid a daily schedule for our summer days. Instead I keep to a weekly schedule in conjunction with a daily routine.
What is the difference between a schedule and a routine?
A schedule is typically a main activity that happens at a designated time while a routine is a sequence of steps. I don’t know about you, but as much as I love schedules, I don’t want to be tied down to a strict daily schedule during the lazy days of summer.
Instead, I want a flexible routine that we follow daily with a schedule of events for each day of the week.
During the school year, children thrive on structure and routine. A daily summer schedule helps maintain a predictable routine even during summer vacation. It ensures that children engage in a wide range of summer activities, including educational pursuits, sports, outdoor adventures, and quality family time. By incorporating different activities into their daily routine, children can have a well-rounded summer experience.
A daily summer routine ensures that kids continue healthy habits
For some reason my kids think that if they aren’t getting out the door early in the morning, they don’t have to brush their teeth. Is this just my kids?
I find that having a printable summer daily routine helps everyone keep up healthy habits. For example, the first thing on my summer routine printable is to eat breakfast, brush teeth, and complete morning chores (my kids put away their clean clothes and make their beds in the morning).
I also get specific about when screen time is offered. Here in Southwest Florida it is hot and rainy in the afternoon. It is the perfect time for the kids to hunker down in front of a screen. I make sure that we get outside every morning before it becomes intolerably hot.
The best part about these printable summer schedules and summer routines is that you can customize them in Canva. Keep reading to get my Canva templates and make it your own.
Get the free summer schedule and summer routine printables here
You can directly download these free printables just as they are. If you want to customize the routine and schedule, read the next section to learn how to edit my templates in Canva for free.
Customize my summer schedule by using my free Canva template
I’m obsessed with Canva. I use it for everything- birthday party invitations, decorations, and of course to make my kids’ summer schedules.
Canva is a versatile online design platform that offers a variety of templates and design elements, making it ideal for creating personalized printables. Here’s how you can utilize my Canva template to customize your own summer schedule:
- Access Canva: Visit the Canva website (www.canva.com) and sign in to your account. If you don’t have an account, you can create one for free.
- Click on these links to open and save the templates to your Canva account: Routine Template | Schedule Template
- Make a copy: Before you start editing the template, it’s essential to make a copy of it. This ensures that you don’t modify the original template and can work on your own version. To make a copy, go to the “File” menu and select “Make a copy.” You can choose to save the copy in your Canva account or download it to your computer.
- Customize the template: After making a copy, you can start customizing the template to suit your requirements. Edit the text, replace images, change colors, and adjust any other elements as needed. Canva provides an intuitive drag-and-drop interface, making it easy to modify templates.
- Save and download: Once you’ve personalized the template to your satisfaction, save your changes. Canva automatically saves your work as you progress, but it’s a good practice to click on the “Save” button periodically. When you’re ready to download the final design, click on the “Download” button and choose the desired file format (e.g., PNG, JPEG, PDF) and quality.
Here are some more ways to enhance your summer schedule
To make the most of your summer and create the best summer schedule, consider the following tips and ideas:
- Create a Summer Bucket List: Alongside the daily schedule, design a free printable summer bucket list. This list can include fun activities, places to visit, and goals to achieve during the summer break. It will serve as a source of inspiration for your child and keep them motivated to explore new experiences.
- Take Advantage of all the Free Kids Events: We love doing the free movie days and kids bowl free program. Read this article for more ideas.
- Explore Local Parks and Outdoor Activities: Include visits to local parks, nature walks, bike rides, and outdoor games in the schedule. Engaging in outdoor activities provides an opportunity for kids to appreciate nature, stay active, and have fun.
- Manage Screen Time: Allocate specific time slots for screen time, such as watching movies or playing video games. Limiting screen time helps maintain a healthy balance between technology and other activities.
- Consider Summer Camps and Workshops: Research local summer camps, workshops, or community programs that align with your child’s interests. Incorporate these activities into the schedule to provide opportunities for learning, socializing, and building new skills.
- Theme Days: Designate specific days of the week as theme days, such as “Science Day,” “Art Day,” or “Sports Day.” Plan activities related to the theme and encourage your child to explore different interests.
- Quality Time with Family: Reserve blocks of time for family activities and outings. Whether it’s a trip to the water park or enjoying ice cream together, these moments create lasting memories and strengthen family bonds.
Crafting a free customizable printable summer schedule using Canva allows you to design a daily routine that balances fun, educational activities, and quality time with the family. Remember, the goal is to provide structure while still allowing flexibility and free time for your child to explore and enjoy the lazy days of summer. With a well-designed schedule, you can make the most of this time of year, ensuring a great summer for the whole family.
If you decide to download these printables, let me know! I’d love to hear how it works for you.
Like this post?
Don’t forget to follow me on social media (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter) to see more of what I’m up to in real life. If you like this post, you’ll love my social media accounts too! Want to know another way you can see more of what I love? Follow me on Pinterest. I’d also love for you to pin this post to Pinterest if you liked it!