This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #EarthDayDriveAway #CollectiveBias
As an environmentalist, I’m always looking for greener ways to do everyday things, like getting an oil change. We can’t all drive electric cars, so it’s important to do the next best thing and find out how to get an eco-friendly oil change. Check out these tips for how to properly dispose motor oil and how to get an earth-friendly oil change if you don’t want to change your oil yourself.
Giveaway alert: get all the details at the end of this post for your chance to win a Chevy Equinox!
Eco-Friendly Oil Change Tips
Pick the Right Product
I’m a big fan of buying quality products that last a long time. Motor oil is no different! When you buy better quality oil, it will last longer which means you can get fewer oil changes and waste less oil.
Mobil 1™ Annual Protection is the oil that I currently recommend. Check out these facts:
If every car in the U.S. used Mobil 1 ™ Annual Protection:
- We would prevent or reduce enough CO2 emissions to fill the Empire State Building more than 5,000 times.
- The CO2 emissions reduction would be equivalent to taking more than 500,000 cars off the road.
- 21 billion pounds of CO2 emissions would be eliminated when switching to a lower viscosity grade and extending oil change intervals to one year*.
Those are some pretty compelling points to sway any environmentalist to get an oil change using Mobil 1™ Annual Protection, but it’s not just the Annual Protection that is so awesome. In general, all Mobil 1 ™ products have a smaller carbon footprint than conventional motor oils**
Properly Dispose Motor Oil
Did you know that motor oil can be recycled? I had no clue until I researched information for this post. Seriously, I just thought we threw it away. How wasteful, right?
Used motor oil is a valuable resource but it must be cleaned before it can be recycled. Do your part by recycling your motor oil. Walmart takes used motor oil and will recycle it for you.
Right now you can enter to win an eco-friendly Chevy Equinox when you recycle oil at Walmart.
If you don’t change your own oil, you can have your oil changed at Walmart and know that it will be recycled. Even better, get a Mobil 1 oil change at Walmart and be entered to win the Check Equinox!
Keep Track of Oil Changes
It’s easy these days to keep track of oil changes if you get your oil changed at a Walmart Auto Care Center. However, if you do it yourself, make sure to keep note of when you need to change your oil. Changing your oil on schedule can help keep your car in good condition and running cleaner.
Of course, I’m a big fan of having my oil changed for me! I like to walk around Walmart with the kids while we wait for the car to be serviced! With all the savings, I’m able to treat the kids to a new toy every now and then.
Enter to win the Earth Day Drive Away sweepstakes! Here are the details.
From now until April 30th, 2018 you have a chance to win a Chevy Equinox. You can also get $10 off your next Mobil 1™ purchase at Walmart.
- Enter for a chance to win a Chevy Equinox in two ways:
- By purchasing 5 quarts of Mobil 1™ in the store or a Mobil 1™ oil change at the Auto Care Center
- By recycling any used oil at an Auto Care Center
- As a bonus, when you purchase 5 quarts of Mobil 1™ synthetic oil or a Mobil 1™ synthetic oil change at the Auto Care Center you are also eligible to receive a $10 Select Certificate valid on a future Mobil 1™ purchase at Walmart.
- Once you make a qualifying Mobil 1™ purchase or recycled any used oil at Walmart, they can enter to win the Chevy Equinox and/or receive their $10 Walmart Select Certificate at earthdaydriveaway.com.
- Limit 2 entries in the sweepstakes per customer (1 for purchasing and 1 for recycling).
- Receipt required to receive $10 Walmart Select Certificate.
*Estimates made based on aggregation of the United States’ average car and motor oil statistics
**Estimates made based on CO2 equivalent emissions derived from Life Cycle Assessment of Mobil 1 vs. conventional motor oil. Assumes switching from a conventional motor oil of higher viscosity grade to Mobil 1 Annual Protection. Include Production, Use, Disposal, and Fuel Economy attributed to motor oil over its lifetime. Calculation based on average U.S. vehicle engine oil sump size, average MPG, average oil change interval and average annual driving distance. Assumes nominal fuel economy improvement when switching from a higher viscosity grade to lower viscosity grade. Assumes new vehicles under warranty follow OEM recommend oil change interval. Mobil 1 Annual Protection is guaranteed to protect for one full year or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first. You may or may not obtain these benefits depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.