Sometimes I look back at my recipe page and see the evolution of what I like to call “mom recipes”. There was a time pre-baby where I would spend hours prepping for a meal. It was fun to play around and experiment in the kitchen without a baby clinging to my legs. These days, I still experiment. However, I find myself experimenting less with flavors and more with short and easy prep.
Broccoli slaw is one of my new favorite staples. I pick up a bag of it every week at the grocery store. It makes for a perfect base for any protein. My most recent creation was eggplant and tofu in a peanut butter sriracha sauce, but seriously, you could put any flavorful sauce on the slaw and it would taste great.
Peanut Butter Sriracha Broccoli Slaw
- Bag of broccoli slaw
- 2 Tbsp. your choice of oil- I used olive oil
- Protein/ veggies for the topping (we like eggplant and tofu- chicken works well too)
- 3 Tbsp. peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 3 Tbsp. sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- Pan sear your protein and veggies in oil over medium high heat
- Set aside the protein and veggies, and add the broccoli slaw to the pan to soften, but not sear. ~3-5 minutes
- Mix last 4 ingredients in a bowl. Add the proteins and veggies to coat.
This is so cheap and easy that we make a different variation of it weekly. The bagged slaw is around $2 which makes this one of our cheapest meals. Add rice to get in an extra carb if you want it. If the sauce is too hot, add more peanut butter. Want it spicier? Add more sriracha.
I love adding new easy staples to my cooking routine. What cheap and easy (+ healthy) meals do you have on your rotation that I should try?