Why settle for a plain old grilled cheese when you can add some punch to it with avocado and chipotle mayo? This super simple Southwest grilled cheese recipe will knock your socks off! A spicy grilled cheese is a fun twist on the classic.
Even when I don’t have time to make elaborate meals, I still like to punch a lot of flavor into them with only a few ingredients. This Southwest grilled cheese recipe only has 4 ingredients: bread, chipotle mayo, cheese and avocado.
To make meal prep even easier, I recently paired this grilled cheese with ready made soup. As much as I love making my own soup, I always like to have a box of soup ready for days where I’m the only one who wants soup. A big batch of soup is always cost effective unless it’s only for one person.
My boys have been big into ham, cheese and crackers for lunch. As much as I enjoy the occasional homemade lunchable, I can’t do it everyday. A spicy grilled cheese sandwich with single serve soup is perfect for lunches at home.
Check out this super simple Southwest grilled cheese recipe.
- 4 slices of wheat bread
- 2 Tbsp. chipotle mayo
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 avocado cut into thin slices
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat.
- Spread 1/2 tbsp. of chipotle mayo on each piece of bread.
- Place two slices of bread, mayo down on the skillet.
- Top with 3-4 avocado slices, 1/4 cup (or more) of cheese, and top with another slice of bread, mayo out.
- Let sit for 1 minute.
- Press down with a spatula and flip the sandwich and let cook for another minute or until cheese is melted.